Colonel Steven Kirkpatrick is the commander of the 307th Bomb Wing, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. The 307th is Air Force Reserve Command’s sole bomb wing, operating both the B-52H Stratofortress and B-1B Lancer. Tasked alongside Active Associate partners, the unit equipped wing is responsible to execute all USAF B-52H formal training. Additionally, through Classic Associations, the 307th provides combat-ready B-52H / B-1B aircrew, maintenance personnel and combat support to execute nuclear and conventional global operational taskings. Colonel Kirkpatrick is responsible for more than 2,000 Reserve Citizen-Airmen, civilian personnel and associated resources.
Colonel Kirkpatrick was commissioned through the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1984. He later received his Master of Science in Business Administration from Louisiana Tech University and a Doctorate of Business Administration from Columbia Southern University. He is a command pilot with more than 6,000 flying hours, including combat time in Operations DESERT STORM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM. Colonel Kirkpatrick is currently an Air Reserve Technician.
1984 Bachelor of Science degree in management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1987 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1991 Master of Science in business administration, Louisiana Tech University, La.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1999 Air War College, by seminar
2004 Safety Board President School, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
2007 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Leadership Qualification, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2009 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Norfolk, Va.
2010 Special Operations Air Command and Control Course, Hurlburt AFB, Fla.
2010 Building Partner Aviation Capacity Course, Hurlburt AFB, Fla.
2012 Lean Six Sigma training (Green Belt), MacDill AFB, Fla.
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2013 Doctorate of Business Administration, Columbia Southern University, Ala.
1. August 1984 - June 1985, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. July 1985 - December 1985, Student, B-52 training school, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. January 1986 - May 1993, Instructor Pilot, 596th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
4. December 1993 - March 1996, Training Officer, 93rd Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. March 1996 - February 1999, Standardization and Evaluation Officer, 917th Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. February 1999 - October 2000, Operations Officer, 93rd Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. October 2000 - April 2004, Commander, 93rd Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La. (October 2001 – January2002, Director of Operations, British Indian Ocean Territory of Diego Garcia) (May 2002 – August 2002,Squadron Commander, British Indian Ocean Territory of Diego Garcia)
8. April 2004 - April 2006, Director of Training, 10th Air Force, NAS Fort Worth JRB, Texas
9. April 2006 – May 2010, Commander, 920th Rescue Wing, Patrick AFB, Fla.
10. May 2010 – March 2014, Senior AF Reserve Advisor, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
11. March 2014 – present, Director of Staff, 10th Air Force, Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2008 – September 2008, Commander, 331st Air Expeditionary Group, Andrews AFB, Md., as a colonel
2. October 2009 – October 2009, Deputy Commander, BRIGHT STAR of Air Force Forces (COMAFFOR), Cairo,Egypt, as a colonel
3. May 2010 – March 2014, Senior Reserve Advisor, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot; Basic Parachutist (Airborne)
Flight hours: More than 6,000 flying hours, including 394 combat hours
Aircraft flown: HC-130N/P, WC-130, C-130E, HH-60G, B-52G/H, T-37, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters (one for “ heroism”)
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Devices and four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 2 'M' Devices and oak leaf cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1984
First Lieutenant May 30, 1986
Captain May 30, 1988
Major March 8, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 29, 2000
Colonel April 5, 2004
(Current as of April 2019)