Chief Master Sergeant Darren L. Demel is the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the 307th Bomb Wing, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. He advises the commander on matters influencing the health, morale, welfare and effective utilization of more than 2,000 reserve enlisted members within the wing. He also serves as the Commander’s Representative to numerous committees, councils, boards, military and civilian functions.
Chief Demel grew up in Hoisington, Kansas, and graduated from basic military training in 1989. He completed technical training as a heavy aircraft maintenance specialist at Sheppard AFB, Texas, in 1989, and was then assigned as a B-52 crew chief in the 379th Field Maintenance Squadron, Wurtsmith AFB, Mich. While there, he deployed to Moron Air Base, Spain, in support of OPERATION DESERT STORM B-52 missions in Iraq. Chief Demel later served as the 8 AF Flagship crew chief at Barksdale, as a CCAF technical instructor for the B-52 crew chief course at Sheppard AFB, Texas and as the chief boom operator for the 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kansas. While assigned to McConnell he deployed numerous times in support of OPERATIONS ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, NEW DAWN and ODYSSEY DAWN and has flow over 100 combat missions.
1986 Associate’s Degree in Communications, Barton County Community College
1992 Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management and Sociology, The University of the State of New York
1992 Associate’s Degree in Aircraft Systems Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force
1997 Master’s Degree in Aviation/Aerospace Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1997 Master’s Degree in Aviation/Aerospace Operations, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1999 Associate’s Degree in Instructor of Technology/Military Science, Community College of the Air Force
2000 Combat Survival Training Course, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
2000 Water Survival-Parachuting Course, Pensacola NAS, Fla.
2000 Basic Boom Operator Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2005 Associate’s Degree in Aviation Operations, Community College of the Air Force
2005 KC-135 Central Flight Instructor Course (CFIC), Altus AFB, Okla.
2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter Annex-Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2017 NATO Noncommissioned Officer Advanced Leadership Course, NATO School Oberammergau
2017 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Institute for Defense and Business
1. February 1989 - April 1989, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. April 1989 - June 1989, Student, Strategic Aircraft Maintenance, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. June 1989 - June 1992, B-52 Crew Chief/Bomber Phase Technician, 379th Field Maintenance Squadron, Wurtsmith AFB, Mich.
4. June 1992 - November 1997, B-52 Crew Chief, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. November 1997 - January 2000, CCAF technical instructor, 362nd Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
6. January 2000 – April 2016, Evaluator/Instructor, KC-135 in-flight refueling operator, chief boom operator, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kansas
7. April 2016 – September 2018, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 931st Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kansas
8. September 2018 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 307th Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
Rating: Chief Enlisted Aircrew
Flight Hours: 3700+
Aircraft: KC-135R, KC-135T, B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
4th Air Force Outstanding Enlisted Aircrew Member of the Year 2009
931st Air Refueling Group NCO of the Year 2001
18th Air Refueling Squadron Senior NCO of the year 2011
18th Air Refueling Squadron Senior NCO of the year 2012
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Senior Airman, June 28, 1991
Staff Sergeant, Oct. 1, 1997
Technical Sergeant, May 1, 2000
Master Sergeant, Nov. 1, 2004
Senior Master Sergeant, June 1, 2011
Chief Master Sergeant, April 11, 2016
(Current as of September 2018)